Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Happiest Sight

One of the happiest sights for me as a teacher is to see my students totally engaged in reading a book. Reading for me is one of the great joys in life. It opens up worlds and minds. It's so wonderful to listen to them read to each other, or, when they're reading silently, have them exclaim about a picture, an interesting fact, or a suspenseful plot. Watching Kindergarteners go from not being able to identify any letters to reading entire paragraphs is a vicarious adventure I'll never forget. Studies have shown that good reading skills are one of the greatest indicators of academic success, but a true joy of reading will create the motivation to become a lifelong learner. I want that for all my students. So, curl up in your favorite chair on the next rainy day, turn off your computer and enjoy a good book instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment