Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gopher Tag

As you know, we got a bundle of snow in the last big storm. FINALLY! A REAL SNOWSTORM! Mr. Finn and I were so excited. We even got to go cross country skiing for the first time in the three winters we've been out here. Snow is so much fun. One of my favorite things to do in the snow is to build forts. I know, I know...I'm a 36 year old woman. Forts, shmorts. But seriously. Over Christmas break when we got a snowstorm at our house in Cherryfield, I totally went out and dug a fort in the big snowbank out front. Needless to say, the kids and I can truly agree on how to have fun in the snow.
They started digging in the huge snowbank before school. Then again at recess. And at lunch break. The ice was looking shoddy, so we thought we'd have a different sort of gym.
It was a manual labor sort of gym. Everyone was digging tunnels like crazy, and then connected said tunnels together. It was like an ant colony in action. I told Cody I thought it was the greatest fort I'd ever seen.
Then all of a sudden, after about 45 minutes of work, Mr. Finn calls out, "Gopher Tag!" Yes, he created it on the spot, but it was still a great game. One kid would be it and all the kids would scream and dive into the nearest tunnel to escape being tagged. There were kids popping out of holes all over the place. It was highly entertaining to watch. I value my knees, so I was not a part of this particular event (though Mr. Finn is still bruised heavily on both patellas).

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely enjoy reading about how much fun the class have when outside in the snow. Yeah, building forts would be so awesome. When this lady from down-under visits one day, I would like it to be during winter. . .Gopher Tag, you're it!!

    ReplyDelete